Saturday, July 18, 2009

Clayton Lighthouse


I have been having a love affair with Clayton ever since I first visited only three weeks ago. I had always heard the town was small so I thought maybe it was like Gunder, a restaurant and a couple of houses and a church. I was very surprised as the town was bigger than I thought and so quaint. Located right on the river there is a laid-back atmosphere that makes every home seem like a vacation getaway. People drive golf carts and boats are always in view on the Mississippi pulling kids on skis and inflatables.
Today marked Clayton River Fest, an afternoon and evening full of great bands rain or shine. Even with the cool temperatures the tents began filling up right away. The husband and I decided to start our experience with eating at The Clayton Lighthouse. Although not technically a lighthouse (or so I think not by it's square build and only being two stories high) the restaurant is at a great location. With windows all around there is an excellent view of the river if a train is not passing through. While some restaurants claim excellent views, this restaurant's got them.
I'm not sure how long the Clayton Lighthouse has been in business, but the decor says that the building has definitely been around sine the 70s. I love retro decor and this place has it; wood paneled walls, bathrooms lined with crushed velvet flower wallpaper (see photo), and the bar encircled with red cushioning.
The atmosphere for lunch at the Clayton Light House was just as laid-back as the town seemed. Being that it was also River Fest convertibles rolled in with bull horns mounted on their hoods and people sported flashing light sunglasses. Most of the excitement was happening in the bar. As for us lunch eaters, we pretty much had the rest of the large space to ourselves.
Lunch at The Clayton Lighthouse consisted of a limited sandwich menu. Although I was tempted by the full menu of steak and seafood on the additional pages, I ordered a bbq pork sandwich that was delicious. Served a la carte I also sided my sandwich with some deep fried cheese curds and a Pepsi (all pop served in cans). Also looking appetizing was the large blt sandwich. The service was also good and price was practical.

Overall Experience:
Food: Lunch servings fulfilling, tasteful and good proportions.
Appearance: Retro atmosphere with great views of the Mississippi River. Lots of room.
Price: Average. Lunch was around $9 for sandwich, side, and drink
Service: Laid-back, nice

No comments:

Post a Comment